Number 9 of the historical tour
The Beguines were a group of independent women who formed a secular religious community and welcomed travellers from various religious orders to their foyer in Romont. This no longer exists.
The tower was probably one of the town’s first constructions. It was rebuilt after having been destroyed by fire in 1589 and was used as a granary until the mid 19th century. Later it served as a dairy, a military kitchen and workshop classrooms are currently housed there.
The Beguines did not take any vows like other religious orders but were committed to humility, chastity and obedience. They could leave the beguinage at any time. Independent, they were looked upon with suspicion by the authorities.