Number 13 of the historical tour
The Fribourg Tower guarded the Fribourg Gate, also known as the Lussy Gate. Round and made from molasse*, it has several gun loops where the firearms of the day were placed. Impeding traffic, the town gates were a hazard when fighting fires. In 1845, the decision was therefore taken to destroy them.
Today, the Fribourg Tower presents a serie of photographs and texts offering a glimpse of the region’s past (May to October).
Like many other towns, Romont was not immune to epidemics. At the foot of the hill, the rue de la Maladaire in the Chavannes quarter indicates that a maladerie*, or leprosarium, once stood there.
*Molasse : a soft rock (grains of sand and siliceous sandstone) which comprises a large majority of the local subsoil, used here as a building stone. It is still quarried throughout the region.
*Maladerie : french word for the place where lepers were kept in isolation.