The smallest town of Europe
As from the year 1150, about fifteen towns appeared on the current territory of Fribourg. The foundation of the city of Rue is between 1264 and 1271. Rue and its castle are mentioned for the first time in 1152, when the family of the Lords of Rue lived there.
During the years 1251-1262, the expansionist policy of Pierre Il de Savoie resulted in the annexation of the lordship of Rue to the bailiwick of Vaud around 1260. The châtellenie de Rue, competent in civil and judicial matters, was from then on dependent on the bailiff of Vaud residing in Moudon.
The economic difficulties of the 14th century and the Great Plague of 1348-1350 slowed down the development of the towns. In 1476, Fribourg troops laid siege to the Pays de Vaud and occupied Romont and Rue. The Pays de Vaud, despite the fact that it had been conquered, was returned to Savoy in return for a large ransom.
As soon as the Bernese conquered the Savoyard châtellenies in 1536, the people of Fribourg seized Romont, Rue and other towns that would henceforth form part of the canton of Fribourg. In 1797, Rue was crossed by the French army advancing on Fribourg. After the defeat of the Sonderbund, the canton of Fribourg entered the federal state in 1848.