COLLEGIATE CHURCH NOTRE-DAME DE L'ASSOMPTION
The Collegiate Church of Notre-Dame de l’Assomption in Romont is a magnificent Gothic monument. It contains treasures of stone, iron and glass.
The local molasse stone was used for the building work but only the bell tower, in beach rock, still contains its original stones. The collegiate church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
The church's stained-glass windows tell a story. On the right, historical windows illustrate the New Testament; in the chapel adjacent to the choir are an Annunciation and an Assumption by Agnus Drapeir (1460). The Dormition of the Virgin Mary window comes from Berbig's workshop (late 19th century). Next to it is a work by Henri Broillet (1917) illustrating the devotion of the people of Romont to the Virgin Mary. The high windows of the nave are home to a series of colourful apostles by Alexandre Cingria (1938). Finally, on the left, Sergio de Castro's prophets completed this series in 1980.
Twelve stalls (15th century) face one another. The backs depict prophets – with supposedly oriental shoes and hairstyles – and apostles, with halos and bare feet. The bronze tabernacle by Remo Rossi (1955) represents the Virgin Mary, surrounded by two angels playing musical instruments. The contemporary liturgical furnishings were designed by Madeline Diener in 1996.
The chapel to the right of the entrance has been adorned since 1968 with three stained-glass windows by the artist Yoki, a native of Romont, illustrating the life of the Virgin Mary. The statue of Our Lady was cut from a single block of molasse in the late 13th century.
Here we can observe various styles, decorations, nave heights, pillar shapes, capital sculptures and tracery. In the right side aisle, not two windows are the same. Years of work explain these contrasts.