Number 1 of Rue's historical tour.
The fountain and its cover date from 1849. The basin bears the date and the coat of arms of the town, marked into the stone.
Before every home had running water, public fountains – together with springs, wells, waterways and cisterns – were the only source of drinking water. They met a basic need.
When the fountain was built in 1849, a new rule was introduced stipulating that it was forbidden to wash fish in it, with a 20 bache fine for those who broke it. At the time, a pound of bread cost between 1 and 2 baches depending on the state of the wheat market.