Number 6 of Rue's historical tour.
The first reference to a castle in Rue, and of the lord Rodolphe de Rue, vassal of the counts of Geneva, dates from 1152. Inside these fortified walls were three dwellings. The square keep appears to date from this period.
Between 1235 and 1237, the fortifications were destroyed and it was forbidden to rebuild them for 15 years. Peter II, Count of Savoy, who now dominated the canton of Vaud, rebuilt the castle from 1260 to 1268 and installed a chatelain as a vassal of Savoy. The buildings were largely destroyed during the Burgundian Wars in 1476. From 1619 to 1763 the castle, which was probably very run down, was rebuilt and a prison installed there. Fribourg installed first its bailiffs, then its prefects there until 1848.
On 25 February 1856, the State sold the castle at auction. There was a succession of owners, including Ernest Ferber, the father of Ferdinand Ferber. The castle is currently privately owned. It is occasionally opened to the public during certain events, such as Art Forum.
In the courtyard there is a small building that houses the well. The current stone bridge replaced the medieval drawbridge, and the pool was created by the last prefect of Rue before 1848.
Ferdinand Ferber was a precursor to modern aviation. In 1898, he performed a test flight with his glider from the castle of Rue, which belonged to his family. He continued his aeronautical research in France, often adopting the pseudonym “F. de Rue” in his writing and during his attempts.