Number 9 of Rue’s historical tour.
The Augustins estate is private property. Please do not enter.
In the 16th century, the Maillardoz family built a country manor, the current Augustins farm. Constructed in 1777, its location near to a waterway meant that it was possible to have a working water mill. In the mid-19th century, Marie-Laure Maublanc de Chiseuil, the wife of the marquis Jules de Maillardoz, built a magnificent country house in Neo-Palladian style at the Augustins estate, as well as a Neo-Gothic chapel built 1864. Having served as the residence of the Maillardoz family, it was later home to churchmen. It was then transformed into a girls’ boarding school, before hosting refugees from Alsace and Lorraine during the Second World War.