Marguerite Bays Route - 3 hours
A simple seamstress and peasant, Marguerite Bays (8 september 1815 - 27 june 1879) was beatified in 1995 for her work with the poor and sick and her way of catechising children, and canonized in 2019. This trail takes you to the places she once frequented.
Marguerite worshipped at the parish church in Siviriez. Since the year 2000 there has been a chapel dedicated to her, created by Fribourg artist Jean-Jacques Hoffstetter. The trail takes in her family home in the hamlet of La Pierraz. It is possible to visit two rooms and stop in the welcoming pilgrims' shelter. The walk continues towards Notre-Dame du Bois, a chapel frequented by Ms Bays, as well as the church of La Fille-Dieu.
Several artists have created stained-glass windows for the church in Siviriez: Théodore Strawinski, Gaston Faravel, Alexandre Cingria and Samuel Buri. The latter's windows, in the choir, illustrate the major festivals in the liturgical calendar. Each bears a title.
Fondation Sainte Marguerite Bays
Route de la Chapelle 41
Properties of the itinerarie
Difficulty : Moderately difficult
Length : 9.2 km
Duration : 3 hours
Type of activity : Family
No entry fees, picnic room available
Accessible by public transport: yes | Nearest bus or train stop: Siviriez village (bus), Romont FR gare (train), Romont FR poste (bus)